Baby teeth are temporary but that does not mean they are not important. They are obviously necessary for chewing and they serve as placeholders for the adult teeth. If a tooth comes out too early, it can cause crowding in the adult teeth. If baby bottle tooth decay is left untreated it can cause the child pain and infection.
So there are some simple ways to avoid baby bottle tooth decay. Here’s how:
· Start wiping your baby’s gums with a damp washcloth a few times during the day even before the first tooth comes in.
· Once the first tooth comes in, start brushing using a soft bristled tooth brush without toothpaste.
· Do not put sugary liquids into a bottle. These include: juices and soft drinks. Keep the bottle use limited to milk, formula, and water.
· Never put baby to sleep with anything other than water.
· Never give your child a pacifier dipped in anything sweet. Ex: syrup.
· Limit your child’s sugar intake between meals.
· Start introducing your child to the Dentist at a young age. (Around 2 years old) Making it a positive experience for them. Short successive visits will help build trust in the dentist.